The Rochester City Ordinance 38.045, Subdivision 21, requires all landlords or their property managers to complete either a Landlord Public Safety Seminar or the Phase I of the Crime Free Multi-Housing Program.
Darrel Hildebrant with the Rochester Police Department offers the Landlord Public Safety Seminar each year in April.
If your property is not currently licensed, please come into our office at 2122 Campus Drive SE to complete an application and schedule a required inspection to ensure the property is safe for your tenants to occupy.
What are building codes? Why do we have them? Why can't we just build buildings however we want? These are some of the questions that this webinar set will help you to answer. The regulation of the way buildings are built in the United States is unique, compared to other industries and even other countries. It can be a mystery to those who have not yet actively participated in the process. The U-tube webinars below will try to provide the big picture, even for those who have no experience with building codes.
Building Codes (Part I)
Building Codes (Part II)
Does it need a permit? (PDF)
In November of 2012 a new Minnesota Plumbing Code was adopted with many changes, some of the items worth special consideration are:
1. Macerating toilets systems are approved with limited use. (M.R.4515.2450)
2. Trough urinals have been removed from the code. (M.R.4715.1410 Subp 1)
3. Many changes on grease interceptors and sizing of this appliance. (M.R.4715.1105 Subp 1-8)
4. Bath tubs, whirlpool tubs, pedicure tubs, all require a temperature control device on all of these fixtures. (M.R.4715.1240 Subp 4)
5. Medical gas certification and licensure requirements. (MN Stat 326B.438)
6. Continuing education for all plumbing licenses. (M.R.4716.0205)
7. Continuing education for backflow certification. (MN Stat 326B.437) New code books are available from the Minnesota Book Store, or you can go on line at www.doli.gov for an online version.
Visit the Minnesota Department of Health's Web site at http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/lead/prof/pre/index.html for information about the Pre-Renovation Education (PRE) Program and Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Rule.