Click here to view more department level news and announcements.
Request for Proposals Open for the Historic Chateau Theatre
The City of Rochester is pleased to announce the opening of the request for proposal (RFP) process for the operation and management of the historic Chateau Theatre. The RFP is open to all interested parties and has a submission deadline of February 15, 2019.
The Chateau Theatre, which was built in 1927, is located in the heart of Downtown Rochester and is one of the most significant historic structures in the city. The Peace Plaza sees close to 1,400,000 visitors a year and the Chateau is within walking distance of over 2,200 hotel rooms.
“The Chateau Theatre is a community treasure and has always been at the core of our DMC Heart of the City planning,” says Lisa Clarke, executive director, DMC Economic Development Agency. Re-opening of the Chateau will add more culture and entertainment options for Rochester patients, visitors and community members which adds to the vibrancy of Downtown Rochester.”
The RFP outlines operational priorities, which should be included in the RFP. These include:
- Manage the day-today building operations of the Chateau Theatre in a cost effective and high quality manner;
- Work strategically to achieve a high level of activation of the building for events not to exceed 390 occupants;
- Create a vibrant entertainment, education, and cultural hub in the Heart of the City;
- Develop and implement strategies to engage with existing community groups and attach new partners and events;
- Support the City’s investment in the Chateau Theatre through exercising the highest standard of maintenance and preservation of the building.
While the City of Rochester will retain ownership of the Chateau Theatre, the RFP process is similar to that of the historic Armory building. A total of five RFPs were received during that process and a local applicant was selected. Today, the building has been transformed into a multi-use space, which includes a restaurant, bookstore, coffee shop, artist space, and community space.
Aaron Parrish, Deputy City Administrator shares, “Given the success of the RFP process for the Armory building, we hope to receive similarly creative and innovative submission for the Chateau Theatre. This is truly a unique opportunity for an operator.”
In November, 2018 the City Council approved a contract with Benike Construction for the initial roofing and interior renovation work. It is anticipated that the interior construction work is set to begin in December 2018, with the exterior roofing work occurring in the spring of 2019. The Destination Medical Center Corporation Board of Directors and the Rochester City Council approved $1.1 million in funding for the renovation.