COVID-19 InformationInformation and Updates for Community Members

City of Rochester
201 4th Street SE
Rochester, MN  55904

Phone: 507-328-2900
Fax: 507-328-2901
TDD: 507-328-2900

Department Contacts

All News & Announcements

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Click here to view only city main news and announcements.

Select a department from the dropdown below to show only the related news and announcements.

City of Rochester Parks & Recreation Department Announces Tall Grass and Weed Ordinance Changes for 2020 Summer and Fall

Post Date:06/22/2020 9:46 AM

Rochester Parks & Recreation Department announced that the Tall Grass and Weed Ordinance will now only include noxious weeds from June 2020-October 2020. Noxious weeds that are monitored include all species listed on the control and eradicate lists on the Minnesota Department of Agriculture website.  Forestry teammates will not be implementing woody vegetation enforcement.  The change comes because of budget impacts due the COVID-19 and a reduction in teammate levels.

Any and all complaints must have a valid claim of the location and identification of the noxious weed. Identification assistance can be found on the MDA website or with forestry teammates (see contact information below).

Any and all enforcement of this ordinance is complaint-driven. When forestry teammates receive complaints, an inspector will be sent to investigate if the complaint is valid per COR 8-5. Enactment of the noxious weed ordinance will continue as previously implemented.

  • Upon notification of violation, city inspector will visit the site and take pictures to confirm claim
  • If violation is found of 8-5, an administrative fine will be issued to remove noxious weed within 48 hours
    • If property owner does not handle violation by 48 hours, both the administrative fine and contractor services fine will be issued
    • If property owner handles violation by 48 hours, only administrative fine will be issued
  • Click here for more information and resources

To submit a complaint, call the Forestry Department main office (507-328-2515) or by email.

Return to full list >>