COVID-19 InformationInformation and Updates for Community Members

Contact Information

4001 West River Parkway NW, Suite 100
Rochester, MN 55901 
Phone: 507-328-2600
Fax: 507-328-2601

Mon-Fri 8:00 am to 5:00 pm

Department Contacts


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
2020 MN State Building Code Adoption
COVID-19 Procedures (Updated 4/27/2020)
The building permit application process for commercial structures begins with submission of an application and required documents to the Building Safety Department. The process also includes review and approval of a Zoning Certificate by the Community Development Department, and may involve reviews by other City and County departments. Plans are reviewed for compliance with the current Minnesota State Building Code. Plan review may result in a correction letter which would require additional documents and/or clarification resubmitted in response, prior to plan approval and permit issuance.
Commercial Construction Project Building Application Procedure

Building Permit Applications

Commercial Building
Multi-Family Building
Manufactured Home

Certificates of Occupancy

A Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is required before any new building can be put into use, or before an existing building can be used for a new purpose (e.g., retail space converted to a school). MN SBC Section 1300.0220.

A Permanent CO is issued for a new building or a portion of an existing building that has changed use. COs are valid for the life of the structure if no changes are made.

A Temporary CO (TCO) may be issued to a part of a building undergoing phased construction to allow occupancy while the construction continues. The building must be safe for non-construction personnel to occupy while the construction proceeds. TCOs have very specific limitations and always include an expiration time frame.

Certificate of Occupancy Checklist

CO or TCO requests will be issued a minimum of one business day AFTER all required approvals are entered into the record.

Trade Permit Applications

Trade permits are required when any new electrical, mechanical, or plumbing is added to a structure.

Electrical Permit
Overhead Service/Underground Service
Fireplace Permit
Gas Piping Permit
HVAC Permit

Bonding requirements for CSST

The manufacturers of CSST (Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing) have added an additional bonding requirement as part of their installation that need to be followed when using their products. For a copy of the alert, click this link "Bonding Requirements for CSST". (Updated 4/2009)

Hydronic Permit
Plumbing Permit