COVID-19 InformationInformation and Updates for Community Members

Contact Information

4001 West River Parkway NW, Suite 100
Rochester, MN 55901 
Phone: 507-328-2600
Fax: 507-328-2601

Mon-Fri 8:00 am to 5:00 pm

Department Contacts


Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
2020 MN State Building Code Adoption
COVID-19 Procedures (Updated 4/27/2020)

The City of Rochester Code of Ordinances Chapter 4 Building Code requires Residential Building permits for detached one-and two-family dwellings. This applies to brand-new home construction as well as remodels, additions, decks and basement finishes of all sizes.  The building permit application process begins with the submission of an application and required documents to the Building Safety Department.  The process also includes review and approval of a Zoning Certificate by the Community Development Department.

In the City of Rochester, homeowners (owner/occupant of a single family home) are required to obtain permits for work they intend to do themselves. The individual who signs the permit is responsible for making sure the work is done in compliance with all regulatory standards. If you are planning a Do-It-Yourself project, below are several handouts with design guidelines and information regarding the steps you will take in obtaining a permit and finishing your project.  If you have additional questions, call the Rochester Building Safety Department.

The City of Rochester Code of Ordinances Chapter 4-1 requires Residential Building Contractors to be licensed with the State of Minnesota.  Landlords may do carpentry work on their rental properties--however--professional contractors must be hired to do any trade work.

How to Apply for a Residential Building Permit

1. Complete and submit a Residential Building Permit application to our office. This form works for all kinds of building projects.

Consult this handout for specific details and documentation required:

Building Permit Application Procedure Residential Construction

2. Meet with a Plans Examiner and receive an application number.

3. Once the permit is approved, you may begin the work covered by the permit.

4. Schedule required inspections either online at or call 507-328-2600.

5. Once approved, the permit is closed.

6. Permits may be researched via Citizen Access.


Building Permit Applications

Master Plan Review
Manufactured Home

Certificates of Occupancy

A Certificate of Occupancy (CO) is required before any new building can be put into use, or before an existing building can be used for a new purpose (e.g., retail space converted to a school). MN SBC Section 1300.0220.

A Permanent CO is issued for a new building or a portion of an existing building that has changed use. COs are valid for the life of the structure if no changes are made.

A Temporary CO (TCO) may be issued to a part of a building undergoing phased construction to allow occupancy while the construction continues. The building must be safe for non-construction personnel to occupy while the construction proceeds. TCOs have very specific limitations and always include an expiration time frame.

Certificate of Occupancy Checklist

CO or TCO requests will be issued a minimum of one business day AFTER all required approvals are entered into the record.

Trade Permit Applications

Trade permits are required when any new electrical, mechanical, or plumbing is added to a structure.

Electrical Permit
Overhead Service/Underground Service
Fireplace Permit
Gas Piping Permit
HVAC Permit

Bonding requirements for CSST

The manufacturers of CSST (Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing) have added an additional bonding requirement as part of their installation that need to be followed when using their products. For a copy of the alert, click this link "Bonding Requirements for CSST". (Updated 4/2009)

Hydronic Permit
Plumbing Permit


Additional Information

Basement finish
Cold Weather Guidelines for Masonry and Concrete Construction
Electrical For Homeowners
Energy Code Compliance Certificate for New Construction
Garage, detached
Lead Paint information from the EPA
Overhead/Underground Electrical Service
Plumbing for Homeowners
Solar System Requirements
Stair, Landing and Handrail Requirements
Temporary Use of Gas Requirements
Water Heaters
Windows, Emergency Escape