4001 West River Parkway NW, Suite 100
Rochester, MN 55901
Mon-Fri 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
CITY OF ROCHESTER BUILDING SAFETY DEPARTMENT
PUBLIC SERVICE DESK CLOSURE AND PROCESS CHANGE INFORMATION IN TIME OF THE COVID-19 PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY
This information sheet serves to update the status and changes to our processes resulting from the health emergency precautions related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our goal is to protect the health and safety of both our staff and our community partners during this time with minimal impact and disruption to services. Process changes currently enacted are listed below.
Current Operational Status:
City Leadership has closed all public service desk locations throughout the City of Rochester. City employees are still working, answering phone calls and emails, processing permits and making inspections. We are also applying social distancing when performing inspections and using special protocols where possible.
To be clear, the office is not closed, just closed to the public from direct in-person interactions.
Permit Request & Issuance:
Inspections and other Guidance:
The Landlord Public Safety Seminar (live class) has been cancelled for this year.
Please see the on-line video option here.
For new landlords
How to Register your property to receive a Rental Certificate:
1. Submit a Rental Property Certificate Application once the property is in your legal possession.
2. Pay the fees.
3. Schedule an initial inspection.
4. Complete the Landlord Public Safety requirement with one of the three (3) options.
5. Become a registered landlord on Citizen Access. This will help you track your properties, and provides the option to pay your next biennial fees on line.
Rental Property Owners and Managers can now pay for fees on line.
It’s easy! First, sign up as a registered user on Citizen Access, search for your rental property, and click on the link to pay by credit card!
Also, be sure to take advantage of the collections options in Citizen Access to better manage all of your rental properties by grouping them. Click here to get started.
Housing Forms and Handouts
- Information for landlords from the Minnesota Multi Housing Association (MHA)
- Information for tenants from Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid
- Minnesota Judicial Branch website with links to courts, rental issues, applicable laws, and forms
Crime-Free Multi-Housing Background Check Resources
Criminal Background Checks
Local Records Checks (Olmsted County and the City of Rochester)
5th Floor of the Government Center-Public Terminals
7400 Metro Blvd Edina, MN 55439
Multi-housing Credit Control
10125 Crosstown Circle, Suite #100
Eden Prairie, MN 55344
Rental Research Services
7525 Mitchell Rd, Eden Prairie, MN 55344
Free Web Searches:
Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA)(please read compliance agreement on the web prior to use)