Resident Budget Engagement
With the 2020 budget process underway, the City of Rochester wants to hear from you. Be it questions you have about the budget process or your ideas on priorities, programs, improvements, and organizational processes. Your ideas can be submitted by clicking on the Give Us Your Ideas icon. We appreciate your input and engagement.
While the budget process really is an year-round process. Over the past two years, the City has made modifications to the process to provide the City Council and community more time with the proposed budget and information. Conversations with the City Council begin to pickup in pace and frequency in July/August In addition, there is more being done to project future revenues and expenditures to better plan for and address the needs of the community.
The Budget Process
- August 26 - Review of the Recommended Budget with CIPs and DPs*
- September 4 - Review of the Recommended Budget with CIPs and DPs*
- September 9 - Review of the Recommended Budget with CIPs and DPs*
- November 4 - Review of Final Budget with CIPs and DPs*
- December 2 - Public Hearing and Approval of 2020 Budget*
* Dates and topics are subject to change. For the most up to date information, visit the City meetings page.
Give Us Your Ideas
More information coming!
The budget process commences with the City Council adopting its priorities, goals, and strategies for the organization and the community at the in the early part of the calendar year.
The City of Rochester Mayor, City Council, and professional team strive to be responsible stewards of public funds. This is evidenced by the City's AAA rating and 50 years of receiving the certificate of financial excellence (the longest in Minnesota).
A transparent and open process is important to ensure public trust and confidence. The purpose of this page is to provide the public with information as the City proceeds with the development of the 2020 operating budget and 2020-2025 capital improvement program also referred to as CIP.