Contact Information

201 4th Street SE
Room 150
Rochester, Mn 55904 (Map)

Phone: 507-328-2515
Fax: 507-328-2511 
Email Forestry Service

Hours (Mon-Fri):
7:30am to 4:00pm
Summer 7:00am to 3:30pm 

Department Contacts



Tall Grass & Weeds

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Rochester City Ordinance 8-5 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


How Is The Ordinance Enforced?

Enforcement is complaint-driven.  Forestry receives complaints and sends an inspector to see if the complaint is valid as per COR 8-5. Complaints can be submitted calling the Forestry Department main office (507-328-2515) or by email.

Tall Grass and Weeds Inspection Flow Chart


Who Will Be Writing The Citations?

Forestry Division Employees have been given authority to write Administrative Citations to enforce the existing Tall Grass and Noxious Weeds ordinance.


Why Did My Property Receive a Citation?

The property was determined to have either the presence of noxious weeds on the Minnesota Department of Agriculture’s Eradicate List, or tall grass and herbaceous vegetation measuring 12’’ in height or greater. City dispatched Tall Grass and Weeds removal contractors are required to take before and after photos of the property found in violation.  The photos document the conditions and can be provided as requested.  Please call 507-328-2515 to request photos.


What are the Administrative Fine Costs Associated with the Citation and Contractor Services?

Administrative Citations increase per violation if more than one is received in a 1 calendar year period:

Administrative Fine Costs


1st Citation


3rd or more

Residential & Commercial





 The contractor service costs in response to an inspector validated complaint.  Tall Grass and Weeds removal costs are dependent upon the time spent mitigating the violation and type of equipment used.


What Are The Two Parts Of The Bill?

The first page of the bill is for the administrative citation written by the Tall Grass and Weeds Inspector.  The amount depends on the number of violations in 1 year period.

The second bill is for the contractor's services to remove the tall grass and weeds.  The City hires the contractors and directs them to mow tall grass and herbaceous vegetation and/or abate noxious weeds after a validated inspection by City staff. The property owner is billed for contractor services at a later date after the bill for contractor services is received by the City.

We are required to provide citation recipients an opportunity to appeal the citation within 10 days and therefore we mail the citation out as soon as possible after they are written. 

Administrative Fine Enforcement Citizen’s Handbook


Where Do I Pay My Citation and Contractor Services Bill?

To view assessments online or make a payment from your savings or checking account visit our website  Properties can be looked up either by street address or by 12 digit parcel identification number.

Payments can be made in the Office of the City Clerk, 201 Fourth Street SE, Room 135, Rochester, Minnesota 55904, in person or by mail. Please bring or return this notice with your remittance. For information on payments, contact the City Clerk's office at (507) 328-2900.