Rochester Public Transit
4300 East River Road NE
Rochester, MN 55906
If you wish to email
your application, please click on the
Contact Us link below and complete
the request form:
To request a Ride
(after you have been approved)
ZIPS Paratransit Service Overview
The Zumbro Independent Passenger Service (ZIPS) is a origin-to-destination transportation service for persons who cannot use Rochester Public Transit's bus service due to a disability. All ZIPS vehicles are wheelchair accessible.
Eligibility is determined using federal guidelines established by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). A person may be eligible for ADA Paratransit Service if any of the following conditions apply:
- They are physically unable to get to the regular fixed-route bus (OR)
- They are unable to navigate regular fixed-route ‘bus system’ once they are on board (OR)
- They are unable to board and exit the bus at some locations
Rides are provided for any purpose. Whether a rider is traveling to a doctor's appointment, going shopping or meeting friends for dinner, all trips are treated equally.
The ZIPS service area is currently 75th Street North, 80th Avenue East, 60th Street South, and 60th Avenue West. A map of the service area can be found here: Service Area Map.
How to Apply
You must submit an application and be approved before you can use ZIPS. Applications are available by mail, by calling (507) 328-2439, Fax (507) 328-2432, or TDD (507) 328-2900, or by downloading the application: ZIPS Application and Instructions
Reciprocity with Other Systems
Service will be provided to registered riders from similar systems for a period of 21 days of service based on presentation of a certification from another jurisdiction. Service will also be provided for up to 21 days of service to non-residents from jurisdiction without such services based on the following: proof of non-residency and medical documentation for hidden impairments (such as a letter from a physician). After 21 days of service the individual must submit and application for review and approval under the regular process.
Operating Hours(effective 7/1/2017)
Monday through Friday
First Pick up is 5:00 AM
Last Pick up is 10:30 PM
Saturday, Sunday and Holidays
First Pick up is 6:00 AM
Last Pick up is 7:00 PM
Holiday Service: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day
Listen to the radio for shut-downs due to weather, call 507-288-8404 or click on this link:
Local, State, and Federal, tax revenues subsidize fares.
Fare: 10 Ride Ticket for $30, 5 Ride Ticket for $15.00, or $ 3.00 for single ride fare or ticket.
Tickets are purchased from the ZIPS bus driver or at the City Clerk's office at City Hall
Reservations are made by calling (507) 288-8404. Riders are scheduled on a first come first served basis. You should call at least one day in advance. When you call be prepared to tell the dispatcher the time you want to be picked up, desired arrival time, and if you'll need a return ride. You should be ready for your pick up at least ten (10) minutes before the reservation time.
Calls are taken
Monday- Saturday 6:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Sunday 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM
Cancellation of service must be made one (1) hour before your scheduled pick up time. A continual pattern of "no-Shows" may result in suspension of service.
Companions / Attendants
You may have one (1) companion ride with you. The driver will punch your ticket an additional time for companions. Personal Care Attendants (PCA's) travel at no extra charge. Free travel for PCA's must be requested in writing prior to riding.
ZIPS Operating Policies
• 10/10 RULE: If the bus arrives 10 minutes before or after your scheduled pick-up time, the driver will wait 2 minutes for the passenger to appear. ANY TIME within those 20 minutes you need to be available and ready to be picked up. PLEASE be ready in case there are cancellations and the bus is able to arrive a little early.
• 2- MINUTE WAIT TIME: BE READY!! According to the ZIPS policy manual, ZIPS buses will wait up to 2 minutes for a passenger to appear. If the passenger is not visible after 2 minutes, THE BUS WILL LEAVE and you will need to schedule another appointment.
• PASSENGER ASSISTANCE: It is the PRIMARY responsibility of parents, staff, or Personal Care Attendants (PCAs) to assist ZIPS riders en route to and from the bus. ZIPS drivers will help as necessary, but staff, parents, or PCAs should be present for those clients who need assistance.
• VAN/TAXIS: During periods of high demand or after 5pm on weekday nights, you may get picked up in a taxi or a handicapped accessible van. Your ZIPS punch pass will still work when this happens. Please keep in mind that taxi and van drivers DO NOT sell ZIPS tickets, so make sure you have a ticket in your possession if you plan on traveling during peak or later in the afternoon/evening.
For the complete guide to ZIPS Operating Policies, click on the link below.