A Council Initiated Action (CIA) regarding Elton Hills Drive was submitted by Council Members Johnson and Palmer on May 20, 2019. The CIA outlined the request for Public Works to, in summary, implement previously recommended safety improvements and turning restrictions on Elton Hills Drive NW.
As part of that process, the Public Works Department identified the need to perform a traffic study for Elton Hills Drive to help determine the street space, use, and lane configuration of the corridor. Concerns had been raised regarding the safety of Elton Hills Drive, pedestrian and bicycle accessibility, mobility needs, and prevalence of speeding motorists. In 2016, Rochester Public Works had previously submitted a project proposal to reduce Elton Hills Drive from its 4-lane undivided cross-section to a 3-lane cross-section with on-street bicycle lanes. Ultimately that concept alternative did not move forward. There was a renewed interest in identifying potential safety and mobility improvements for the corridor, which includes re-evaluating the feasibility of conversion to a 3-lane roadway.
The results of the Elton Hills Drive Traffic and Safety Study and the Public Open House were heard by the City Council on December 16, 2019. As directed by City Council on that date, the needs of Elton Hills Drive NW will be weighted against the needs of the rest of the community and prioritized accordingly. If deemed to be a high priority, work could potentially be added as a Capital Improvement Program project in the 2021 budget and programmed for sometime in the following 6 years. Public Works currently does not have any plans to bring forward additional recommendations for improvements on Elton Hills Drive NW.
- May 20, 2019: Council Initiated Action (CIA) for roadway safety improvements on Elton Hills Drive NW. Click here for the Council Initiated Action.
- August 19, 2019: Public Works recommends a traffic study be completed to better determine what improvements are appropriate. Click here for the council packet and audio/video.
- September - October 2019: Study conducted by consultant
- November 30, 2019: Deadline for completed study to be delivered to Public Works.
Click here for the completed Elton Hills Drive Traffic and Safety Study
- December 9, 2019: Public Open House to review the Traffic and Safety Study and weigh in on potential solutions
- December 16, 2019: Report the results of the study and public open house to City Council at Study Session. City Council will be asked to give further direction on the project at that time.
Community Engagement Opportunities:
- Elton Hills Drive Safety Improvements Open House
- December 9, 2019 from 4:30-7 p.m. at Hoover Elementary School (369 Elton Hills Drive NW)
- Click here for the informational postcard