A Council Initiated Action (CIA) regarding Elton Hills Drive was submitted by Council Members Johnson and Palmer on May 20, 2019. The CIA outlined the request for Public Works to, in summary, implement previously recommended safety improvements and turning restrictions on Elton Hills Drive NW.
As part of that process, the Public Works Department identified the need to perform a traffic study for Elton Hills Drive to help determine the street space, use, and lane configuration of the corridor. Concerns have been raised regarding the safety of Elton Hills Drive, pedestrian and bicycle accessibility, mobility needs, and prevalence of speeding motorists. In 2016, Rochester Public Works had previously submitted a project proposal to reduce Elton Hills Drive from its 4-lane undivided cross-section to a 3-lane cross-section with on-street bicycle lanes. Ultimately that concept alternative did not move forward. There has been renewed interest in identifying potential safety and mobility improvements for the corridor, which includes re-evaluating the feasibility of conversion to a 3-lane roadway.
- May 20, 2019: Council Initiated Action (CIA) for roadway safety improvements on Elton Hills Drive NW. Click here for the Council Initiated Action.
- August 19, 2019: Public Works recommends a traffic study be completed to better determine what improvements are appropriate. Click here for the council packet and audio/video.
- September - October 2019: Study conducted by consultant
- November 30, 2019: Deadline for completed study to be delivered to Public Works.
Click here for the completed Elton Hills Drive Traffic and Safety Study
- December 9, 2019: Public Open House to review the Traffic and Safety Study and weigh in on potential solutions
- December 16, 2019: Report the results of the study and public open house to City Council at Study Session. City Council will be asked to give further direction on the project at that time.
Community Engagement Opportunities: