Litter detracts from the aesthetics of a landscape, as well as, poses a threat to wildlife and human health. While some intentionally litter, the majority of litter is unintentional.
Simple behavioral changes can help keep our landscapes free of litter:
- Do not litter.
- Pick up litter when you see it.
- Bag and tie all trash bags before putting them into the bin for curbside pick up.
- Put out curb side receptacles as close to the scheduled pick up as possible.
- Toss cigarette butts into an appropriate receptacle. Use a pocket receptacle if you frequently find yourself without a proper cigarette butt receptacle.
- Cover vehicle loads to prevent items from blowing out.
You can Help Make Rochester A Litter Bit Better! Every April thousands of volunteers pick a place, pick a date and pick up litter from around Rochester. This annual city-wide clean-up event has removed over 95 tons of litter from the community.