INFORMATION FROM THE MN STATE FIRE MARSHAL'S OFFICE
Occupant load guidance for bars and restaurants, gyms and salons reopening during COVID-19
It is important for bars and restaurants, gyms, and other businesses and retailers to maintain proper occupant loads as they work to reopen across Minnesota during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The information sheets below will help establishments calculate the traditional proper occupant loads as well as occupant loads that are in compliance with Gov. Tim Walz's recent executive order for several types of businesses. This calculator from Lake Travis Fire Rescue in Texas can help you determine your occupant load. The calculator is for educational use only.
We also have included guidance on using partitions as a way to limit the spread of COVID-19.
- Calculating the occupant loads of bars and restaurants indoors at 50 percent capacity.
- Calculating the occupant loads of gyms, health clubs and yoga studios at 25 percent.
- Calculating the occupant loads of salons at 50 percent capacity.
- Guidance for the installation of partitions or barriers in assembly occupancies (bars and restaurants).
- Calculating the occupant load in assembly occupancies.
- Calculating the occupant load in retail and business occupancies at 50 percent capacity.